Friday, December 09, 2005

ษน ศฟืฟ รห ดพรแ ฟไหนทำ

ฟะ ไฟหใ... sorry, I was trying out my Thai. The title reads "Ko Lanta is fricken awesome". Anyway, enough of me showing off. As you all now know, Alley and I are in Ko Lanta, which is an island off the coast way down south. We were originally going to leave a day earlier than we did, but we couldn't find where the bus stop was, it was hot, we were frustrated and just not in the mood. So we stayed an extra night and then made our way down the next day.

We caught a sleeper train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, which wasn't the most enjoyable experience. For me it wasn't too bad, but poor Alley wasn't feeling the best, and it just continued to get worse. Once we got to Surat Thani, we needed to catch a bus to Krabi, but that had a stop where we needed to change busses. Again, Alley wasn't in top shape... We then had to get a van to Krabi, which took a couple of hours. Once there, we had to hop on a ferry to get to Ko Lanta, where we were VERY happy to be greeted by O, one of the guys from the place we were staying at. We got showed to our hut, ate a bit of food, then pretty much slept for the remainder of the day and night.

The place we're staying at is called Fisherman's Cottage, and it's right on the beach. Sooo nice. The hut we are in is all concrete floors and walls, so it's not too warm, with a palm thatched roof and a big bed. It's taken a few nights to get used to the, shall we say, firm bed. But it's getting easier each night. But that first night - woah, not the best I've had. Since I went to sleep at around 6:30pm, I woke at 9:30pm and thought I should get some dinner. But Alley was still sleeping, and I couldn't really be bothered. Then I woke up around 2:30am and couldn't get back to sleep because I had already slept so much. I finally managed to drift off at around 5am... sorry, I got distracted but the monkey outside torturing a tiny kitty. Quite amusing. Now, where was I?

Then the next day, I thought I would give 'stupid Jaan' a go and didn't put on any sunscreen, and got completely burnt and suffered some fun heat stroke, which included feeling sick as, headaches, dizziness, and just unpleasant feeings. But I went for another swim, ate some food and have since made a full recovery despite the scorched skin on my shoulders. Since then, there's been plenty walks along the beach, loads of delicious meals (there's tiny resorts all along the beach so you just take your pick of where you want to eat), tonnes of relaxing, some physio, swimming, and typing on this stupid keyboard.

Health - well, I haven't been that diligent with treatment, so you can imagine I'm suffering a wee bit. Nothing to worry about though. Well, so me thinks anyways. I've started it up again, and hope to be in full health very soon. It's just a bit hard when there's so much relaxing to do. You wouldn't understand...

But tomorrow we are leaving here and catching a train up to Ko Chang, with a stop in some city along the way. I will write more when we get there. I've prob missed out on heaps of important info, but who cares.

Rating - 5.6

What I'm listening to: Nothing, since my Ipod ran out of power...

Gross white men chasing young Thai women - 42 (and that's only in Bangkok)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo Jaanie!
sounds like y'all are having an awesome time over in thailand...good on ya!
I just got to Oxford after a coupla days in Stockton-on-tees (did I mention that place is fucking small?!). so tomorrow I'll start the TEFL course, 11hrs, man! an then 9 hrs on Sunday...!but it's all good, I'm sooo excited!!!! I bet I'll be the only foreigner there, though...ah, and there are sooo many aussies in this hostel, even a family from adelaide...hehe, gotta love'em!
well, will get off here since I'll have to get up at six in the morning to make it to the course...you two take care, hope Miss Potter is feeling better and can enjoy the trip....you and your sunburn I won't comment..hehe, nah, not cos it's such a stupid thing to do (well, it kinda is...) but because I have had so many of those "ah-I-will-be-fine-without-sunscreen-burns" that it would just be too ridiculous to take the piss...;)
well, say Hi to alice from me (I know we've never met but from what you've been telling me she must be an amazing person and i hope I get to see her one day...)
I just realise I should have put this in an email to you..oh well, can't be asked to write it again....
Liebe Gruesse aus dem schoenen Oxford (this is german, hahaha)... Janka