Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It's my birthday!!


my present from alice
Originally uploaded by jaanus83.
Ahhhhh, the soothing sounds of an air conditioner. How sweet it is!! I sit here on my bed, on my birthday, watching Blue Heelers, 33 degrees outside and very happy that I decided last night to go out and buy an air con. Yes, it is a bit of money, but I couldn’t stand one more night of not being able to sleep properly. It sucks. But now it’s all good! ☺

Lots has been going on, so let’s see if I can recall all of it. I’ll start from Saturday the 10th.

I may have mentioned, I may have not, but I’ve started playing guitar with my friend Holly, who goes by the stage name Cookie Baker. Very nice stuff indeed. So for the last month or so, we’ve been doing some stuff together, including some gigs. On Saturday the 10th we were supporting an Adelaide girl called Emily Smart at Jive. It was an awesome gig! There were heaps of people, and even though they weren’t there for us, that made it quite a bit easier to play and have fun. We didn’t have a too big night because we needed to be at the Festival Centre at 10:30am the next morning for another gig.

On Sundays the Festival Centre has markets going all day, which those of you who live here should definitely check out. Really good things to buy, and all locally produced. So we played on the stage there for a couple of hours, and again, it was really great. Totally different though to the previous night. There were heaps of kids running around, and due to the high pitch of Holly’s voice, all the little girls were instantly drawn to her. There was a girl who was mentally disabled who walked up to the stage just to put her hands on the foldback speakers to feel the vibrations. It was amazing.

The following Wednesday we were supporting a Canadian girl called Ann Vriend at the Grace Emily. Again, the gig was so much fun (can you see a trend here?) and Ann was totally awesome. We had a bit of a drink afterwards with her and hung out till about 2.

The next night there was a gig on at The Archer, which was again going to be completely different to the last few we’d done. There were going to be quite a few different acts on, but luckily they were all pretty much friends of ours, so it was just like one big giant party. I had to work, so I actually missed a few of them playing, but got there around 10 to see Luke Ashby play, who I hadn’t seen in quite a while. Really good stuff. It was a really short set, only about 6 songs, but for the first time I played the whole set on guitar, even playing a song that we had never done before. Was pretty fun!

On the weekend we had a wedding at McLaren Vale. Would normally be great, except that it was 40 degrees for both Saturday and Sunday. Ugh. It was a couple degrees cooler up there, but not a whole lot. The wedding itself was really nice, short, sweet, and in the gardens of a winery, so perfect setting. The reception was at the same place, so everyone just hung around, drank heaps, ate heaps, and had a merry old time. We decided around 11pm to go to Port Willunga, but we had to go to Coriole first to get the rest of our stuff. The other car went down and we said we’d meet them there. Can you believe that we drove around for 45 mins trying to find Port Willy?? I couldn’t believe it. It was nowhere to be found. Even the locals couldn’t tell us how to get there. So we got all pissed off and decided to drive back to Adelaide. It was still sooo warm – around 30 degrees at 1 in the morning – so we went to bed feeling quite unfulfilled. Never mind.

And now today I woke up to the lovely Alice brandishing a HUGE present wrapped up for me. I had no idea what it was, but I unwrapped it to see a friggen fantastic painting of us, done by her friend Tahlia. Seriously, it is so good. I’ve taken a pic and added it to my flickr site so have a looksee.

Going out to dinner tonight with mum, Dana and Alice to Rose Garden, which is a Thai restaurant. The best one in Adelaide! And then on Thurs night Holly and I are playing again at the Gilbert St Hotel, so if you’re not doing anything come along. It’s sure to be a great night.

Lungs are still going quite strong. No real change since last time, which I'm definitely not complaining about. I have a clinic in another couple of weeks so here’s hoping that all goes smoothly.

Rating: 7.1

What I’m listening to: Cookie Baker (for obvious reasons)

No comments: