Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Going into hospital

Orright, so here's the deal. I'm feeling right shite, so I'm not going to spend too long on here.

Since my last post I've been getting worse each day, to the point where I am out of breath watching tv, and having coughing fits every 10 mins or so. Sometimes so much that I'm throwing up. Not much fun.

And my nose has also been getting worse. Increasingly congesting up, more and more snot coming out, and now I've started getting the sinus headaches. Not really surprising though after seeing the results from my CT scan. Every part of sinus you could imagine is completely blocked up. And not just by polyps - that has now led to infection and fungus. Mmm, lunch anyone? So the docs think that this could be a main cause in why I've been feeling so crap the last few months, since this sinus issue is something that has been brewing for quite some time now.

So when I had my appointment with my ENT (ear, nose & throat) doctor, he was telling me that the only procedure that would get rid of most of the infection was a big one - not only do they have to scrape out all the polyps and stuff, they also have to drill two holes in my forehead so they can screw in two metal plug things to flush my sinuses with saline for a week afterwards. I'll make sure to take pics of that one. This is what I had done last time, which they said I shouldn't have to have done again. Yeah, maybe if I actually went to an appointment afterwards to keep an eye on the wee little buggers it wouldn't have got to this point... However, that's not the end of it. They have also decided to shave back all the bone in my upper sinus, so basically it'll be one big chamber, rather than little caves everywhere. It should all be good as long as they don't scrape into my brain... but this means that the op is going to take about 4 hours, rather than just half an hour (I think...). Not that I'll be conscious to be aware of it, but it just means that it's more anesthetic in my system, which means a longer recovery time.

The original plan was to do it while I was having a routine 2 week IV admission, so that the antibiotics would help me get over it. However, I got the call yesterday from the chest clinic saying that I'll be going in Wednesday (tomorrow) so when I went to book the op, they said the original date of the 31st of August had been taken up, and the next available one isn't until the 22nd of September. Such a spew... but not much I can do now. If something get's cancelled before then, I'll be going in early, but I doubt that will happen.

So now it's back to me going in tomorrow for 2 weeks of rest and antibiotics. Let's hope that this admission works a tad better than the last one - where I didn't get better for a month and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I'll still have my mobile on me and turned on so if you wanna send lovely text's my way shoot! I may not reply since I am a lazy bastard, but I'll be happy. :)

That's all for now. I'm out of breath typing this so I'm off.

Rating: not really much point, but what the heck! 3

What I'm listening to: The Bedridden - Live at the Crown and Anchor

P.S. I've updated some of the music I listen to section. Some new stuff. Most of them are now the myspace sites, purely for the benefit that you can hear some of the music from that site rather than their homepages... also, you can still access their homepage from their myspace page. Woot!

3 comments:

Janka said...

Jaanie!! That doesn't sound good at all, hope the antibiotics do the trick this time. And cheers for the detailed despcription of the nose OP...now I have s slight idea of what I've got coming...;)
Definitely take some pics of the metal plugs and stuff, even though I might not have the courage to do the same when I get my polyps taken out...can you believe how weird it was for me to post pics of me nebulising..?!Ah.. I know, I'm such a wimp..;)well, I hope you're getting better soon!
xxx J.

Becky said...

Awww Jaan I'm sorry to hear you have to have those horrible plugs again :( Sounds Like a huge procedure this time...

I hope your IVs kick butt this admission...I'll be thinking of you lots but won't be able to send my usual texts or make late night drunken phone calls to you as my phone won't work in the US...I will, however, be visiting you a lot when I get back!

Lots of love
Beckstar

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaan
Thought you seemed pretty flat when I dropped in to see you at the RAH the other day - now I know why!! That CF sinus stuff is soooo annoying, Jamie has to have another op too and it was only 18mths ago he had the last one! I think we're looking at yearly ops now but at least we haven't had to have the plugs in the forehead yet! Definitely not a good look!! I'm thinking Herman Munster!! Anyway I hope you will be on the improve soon, stay positive. Cheers Robyn (from CFSA)