Thursday, April 14, 2005

Water, eggs and mud - all part of a better, healthier you

Believe it or not, but yesterday I went to the Aquatic Centre and paid for a 10 visit multipass. That means that I'll at least attend the pool 9 more times. Proud or what?? I didn’t do too much yesterday, as I pretty much have 0% fitness at the moment, so I didn’t want to overdo myself. I plan to go today again and hopefully increase it a little more. It felt really good to be able to do some exercise without sore joints again. So with time, I should easily be able to pick up my fitness again (that is if I can be arsed going all the time, but I'm definitely going to try) and along with all my other treatments, I'm hoping to get my lung function back up.

I'm also happy to report that while my health is still a little bit down from the other week, I'm almost back up there again. I think I'm getting over the damage the sore throat caused, and my sputum has decreased significantly. So I'm very excited about that.

One last bit of news – last night I went to the Eggs (Exeter) and hung out! It was really nice – especially because it wasn’t too busy. We were able to sit in the non-smoking room and really have a nice night. It’s a small step, but I soon plan to be making more of these little trips out and about. Just don't want to rush into things. I'll try to explain how I'm feeling at the moment regarding my health.

When I'm really healthy and have been so for a while, I imagine that I have a solid brick wall around me. Going out every now and then, even to really smoky places, doesn’t usually do too much damage. It might dent the wall, but if I rest for the next day and do all my treatment, I usually get right on top of it again. However, when I get sick, I have absolutely no wall around me, so even doing nothing is sometimes not enough to hold off an infection. Now when I start to get healthy after being sick, like I am at the moment, I feel like I have a wall, but it’s VERY thin. In order for it to become a thick wall, I need to stay healthy for a decent amount of time. Then I'm able to go out a bit more since my body can handle it. But because it’s still in the early stages, I'm scared that if I go out regularly, it will crush my wall straight away and I'll be back to square one. A good indication of this is how sick I got from the sore throat the other week. Normally that wouldn’t have done anything, but it shows how fragile my body still is. With all this swimming and treatment, I'm really hoping that I'll continue to get stronger and then I can start relaxing and not being so anal about things. But until then, its early nights, lots of exercise and physio, and other things that are good for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang on... you're paying to go to a public pool when your parents have one - right?
Hmmm... :)

Kxx