Saturday, September 10, 2005

Parks, aquariums, nights out and all finished by 2am


Verghese and Laura
Originally uploaded by jaanus83.
Well, since I hadn't posted anything for about a week, I think I'm due don't you? Let's see if my memory can serve me good enough to enlighten you...

Ok, so I stayed back in Nanaimo for another night because I didn't book a ticket for the ferry back to Vancouver. I got there bright and early Tuesday morning around 8 am and struggled to find a taxi to take me back to the hostel. Eventually I had to go into a hostel and ask them to phone me one.

Now, for some reason, my brain has decided to merge Tuesday and Wednesday together, so I can't remember what I did on each day. Hence I'll just write all the stuff I did...

Finally did some touristy stuff and went to Stanley Park. Very nice. I hired a bike and rode around the park which is about 8 km's long and took just over an hour (since I was stopping alot on the way to film various crap). I went to the UBC (University of British Columbia) which is near the hostel. Talk about a big campus. It was just like the movies - everyone walking around wearing their frat tshirts and carrying cases of beer. Looks like good study to me. Now my memory is coming back to me - this all happened Tuesday. By the end of the day my feet were absolutely killing me from all the walking and stuff. Just a little side note for you.

Then Wednesday I met up with Frances Herzer, who is the President for the B.C. cf chapter. We had a very pleasant talk on the beach and it was really good to get some perspective on the cf scene here in Vancouver. Then I went to post my suitcase full of mediciny goodness to Ben in Montreal so that I didn't have to carry it around with me. Talk about hassles - the bus didn't come because there was a section that was blocked off by police because of an accident, so luckily someone from the hostel gave me a lift. Then I had to get a lock before I could send the suitcase off, but the hardward store had decided to be closed that day for some reason, and at the hiking place, the computer crashed for about half an hour. Lotsa fun!

Finally posted it, got back to the hostel and didn't do too much for the rest of that night. Had a nice conversation with Verghese (an Australian) and Laura (a German) in the cafe at the hostel about travelling and where we would like to go etc etc etc.

On Thursday I accompanied Verghese on an expedition to the aquarium in Stanley Park. Apart from Stanley Park itself, it's the only touristy thing I've done since being here, so I'm very greatful for the invitation. The aquarium was alright, not as big as I thought it was going to be. But they had some brilliant animals there, including the beluga whales. Then we went into Chinatown, which is one of the biggest in the world. It's friggen huge! So good though... Had so many grocery shops and restaurants. And not to mention the worlds narrowist building...

On the way back we decided to swing through the dodgy part of town that runs alongside Chinatown. Everyone said that it was pretty bad and to be careful, but it was 3 pm and we were curious. It's so strange - the moment you cross the road and head down the street it completely changes. And I mean straight away - you can still see the 'nice' strees 10 metres away when you're freaking out about getting robbed. We passed 'suicide alley' just after turning into the road and saw 2 people shooting up right there. Talk about scary. We lasted a block before turning back to the 'nice' road. An experience definately!

Then that night we all decided to go downtown to check out the night life (that's me, Verghese, Laura and Catie, an English gal who arrived that day). It was a pretty good night all up. Didn't really find a good Adelaide-esque pub which I've definately been missing, but some good places nonetheless. However, once 2 am struck, the lights came on and the order for everyone to clear out was given. Stupid Canada. Stupid Vancouver. The city shuts down at 2 am everywhere. Hoards of people were spewing into the street when we walked out, and it was quite a site (by spewing I mean walking out and not literally throwing up). So we just caught a cab back to the hostel and chatted.

Today I didn't do too much at all. Packed my stuff, caught the ferry to Nanaimo (after booking a ticket) and then being treated to a hockey game tonight. I think I've found my new sport. It's friggen awesome. Guys being smashed into the wall and being decked in the middle of the ice. And it's really exciting to watch and figure out all the plays and stuff. Well, I enjoyed it anyway.

Holy toleto, talk about a long entry. Sorry guys. I guess alot has happened (for a change). I've put heaps more photos on the site so check em oot if youse are interested.

But onto health - since I have really been quite slack with physio and stuff, I'm not the best. Especially after last night - I forgot that drinking makes me go quite phlegmy. So combining that with no physio, and you get a sick lil camper. But not to worry - being back in a house in Nanaimo should do a bit of good. I'll get back on top of it. You just watch!

So the rating is a not-so-crash-hot 6.3.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap,, I just wrote out a reply and it's gone. Got to hate that!!! Let me try again

Anonymous said...

Ok back to try again

Hey Jaan,

Thought I'd come back and check up on you and see what your been getting up to. Seeing that I only get here once a week myself it's always nice to read something new.

I must say that I'm glad to read about you finding and liking hockey, I'm a fan of the game myself. As you said it's ace seeing all the tough guys get roughed up and slammed into walls LOL. Wouldn't think it was possible for a girl (especially from melbourne) to like hockey :-).

It's also good to read that your been doing a few more tourists things and that you have made new friends at the hostel.

Must say too that you are definately brave going into the dodgy side of town, not something alot of people do.

Anyways I could go on but there wouldn't be much space so I'll leave it there for now. So take care, have more fun and get a better little.

Bonnie